Saturday, February 19, 2011

Tea Towel Apron




What you’ll need:

- One large tea towel (mine was 29” x 21”)

- About 2 yards of twill tape (I used 1” wide twill tape but you can use any width and even bias tape in a pinch)

- Sewing machine (you can sew it by hand but a machine is a bit easier)

1. First you’ll need to pleat the top of your tea towel. I made 2 ½” pleats on either side. Secure pleats with pins.

2. Tack the pleats approx. 7 inches down with a pin (depending on where your waist is). I secured the pleats at a bit of an angle (look at the photos to see what I mean by this).

3. On the machine, secure top folds with a stitch (I did a decorative stitch all the way across the top so it looks a bit more attractive).

4. Secure the lower tacks with a couple stitches (if the thread matches the fabric well enough you’ll barely see them).

5. Next you’ll need to cut the twill tape. Measure how much you need for the neck and waist-ties (I used roughly 25” for the neck and two 25” pieces for the waist). To attach the loop at the top sew each end near the corners. To attach the waist-ties sew them along the seam of the towel (I used a zig-zag stitch to make sure they were extra secure). *Tip: to make all the ties look cleaner, fold each end under before sewing it down.

And that’s it! Your stylish new apron is ready to wear

.

No comments:

Post a Comment